Monday, September 25, 2006

Marathon.

Marathon is the site of the battle of Marathon
in 490 BC in which the Athenian army
defeated the Persians.
This beach is the cost were the ships of the Persians anchored.
A legentary run of a messanger named Phidipides
from Marathon toAthens,
after the battle formes the basis for the modern-day marathon race.
The messanger when he arrived in Athens
he shouted 'NEKIKAMEN' (we were victorius) and died.
When I was a child, I was very touched by this story.
 Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Denton said...

This is a very unique photo and an interesting story behind it ... PS: I like the color in your photos.

Monday, September 25, 2006 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Nathalie H.D. said...

Yes, I was very moved by the story of the first Marathon runner too when I learned it at school. A daring move to go for bright yellow on that beach, but I like it.

Monday, September 25, 2006 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

well done with choosing this hue..loving it! and oh, nice post :)

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 12:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As others have already said: I love this picture.

The photograph also captures the contrast between the today and the yesterday of this place. Today, your picture shows lounge chairs for people to lie in the sun and relax. Yesterday, implicit in your photograph of the beach at Marathon, are the men lying in the sun who had sacrificed their lives for that historic victory. I think this contrast adds significantly to your photograph.

I also think that your choice of a single colour gives a 'timelessness' to the beach, hills, water and sky. This 'timelessness' invites the viewer to see the contrasts in your picture. Or, am I just being a little too "artsy fartsy" this morning? :-)

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home